Revs Check

Did you know that if you buy a second-hand car privately, and it has finance owing on it or is stolen, the car may be repossessed or impounded? Not a good start to your car loan!

But there is a safe way around this problem and for peace of mind it's well worth the small time investment.

All you need to do is collect your vehicle's relevant identifying numbers and documents and then call one of the Government-operated registers of encumbered motor vehicles. They will be able to tell you over the phone if the car you're looking to buy has money owing on it, is stolen, or has been de-registered due to unpaid traffic fines.

Investigate your vehicle

  • On the vehicle itself, locate and note down the Registration Number, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)/chassis number and Engine Number.
  • Confirm these numbers directly match the ones on the vehicle's Registration Papers.
  • Contact the appropriate Vehicle Register* in your state, provide these numbers and verify everything is legitimate. The relevant contact details are provided below.
  • Buy a search certificate to confirm these details.

Contact your state Vehicle Register

NSW and ACT: 133 220 Mon–Fri 8.30am–5pm
Queensland: 13 13 04 Mon–Fri 8.00am–6:00pm
Sat 8.00am–4.45pm
South Australia: 131 084 Mon–Fri 9.00am–5pm
Tasmania: (03) 6233 5201 Mon–Fri 8.15pm–4.45pm
(except Wed 9.00am–4.45pm)
Victoria: 131 171 Mon–Sat 9.00am–5pm
Western Australia: 1300 304 024 Mon–Fri 8.30am–5pm

* Oz Credit does not take any responsibility for information provided by Government- operated Vehicle Registers.

Oz Credit can help

Oz Credit can manage some of these processes for you so if you're short on time and need a hand, contact us today.